This time of year, we’re kind of obsessed with the flavors of fall. Pumpkin, apple, maple, cranberry—you name it, we love it. At any time of year, we’re obsessed with easy-to-make healthy snacks, so we figured that now was as good a time as any to put together a list of our favorite mini-meals that celebrate the delicious tastes of the season.
1. GRANOLA WITH CRANBERRIES & PUMPKIN SEEDS – Homemade granola is a great snack that travels well and stays fresh. This recipe from My Good Gravy features tart cranberries, heart-healthy pumpkin seeds, and lots of whole grains.
2. APPLE CRISP – What’s more comforting than a warm apple crisp? Our healthy version of this classic fall dessert uses homemade, naturally-sweetened applesauce and toasted oats. Yum! This works great with pear as well.
3. PUMPKIN MUFFINS – Forget the calorie and sugar-filled muffins from Starbucks and Dunkin Donuts. Make your own pumpkin muffins at home! They’re great for an on-the-go breakfast that you can make ahead of time for those busy mornings, or as a mid-day snack. These muffins from Yummy Mummy Kitchen use white whole wheat flour and roasted pumpkin seeds.
5. GREEK YOGURT WITH FALL FRUITS – Thick, creamy Greek yogurt is the perfect delivery device for soft baked fruits like apples and pears. Panini Happy’s recipe for grilled pears with honey-whipped Greek yogurt and toasted almonds is technically a dessert, but something this healthy could definitely classify as breakfast, too!
6. SQUASH HUMMUS – Who says that chickpeas are the only player in the hummus game? You can use winter squashes like butternut, acorn and delicata to make a dip that’s just as delicious. This recipe from Dana Treat for butternut squash hummus also includes a simple homemade rosemary flatbread.
7. FALL DESSERT-INSPIRED SMOOTHIES – Smoothies are amazing for sneaking protein and veggies into a fast, portable meal. Play your flavor cards right and you can feel like you’re having dessert without all the guilt. One of our favorites is Sprint 2 the Table’s carrot cake shake, which blends almond milk, protein powder, a carrot and tofu with spices and stevia to create a healthy, drinkable “cake batter.”
8. FALL PRODUCE CHIPS – You can go sweet or savory with non-traditional baked chips. For sweet, pop some paper-thin apple slices in the oven at 200°F for a few hours and sprinkle with cinnamon. Our choice for savory is butternut squash. Try these rosemary-seasoned crispy squash chips from Running to the Kitchen.
9. ROOT VEGETABLE PIZZA – Roasted root vegetables like carrots and sweet potatoes make great pizza toppings. Put them on a pizza crust or flatbread with olive oil, crumbled blue cheese and sweet onions like in this fall-flavored pizza from Mom Foodie.
10. FALL-SEASONED POPCORN – Warm spices like cinnamon or rosemary are the best way to season popcorn on a chilly fall day. Cara’s Cravings shared a recipe for rosemary caramel almond popcorn that we’re dying to try.
What are your favorite healthy fall snacks? Feel free to share your recipes below!