Ingredients (4 servings)
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breast (4 4-oz. breasts or 8 thinly sliced cutlets)
- 1/3 cup + 1 tbsp. balsamic vinegar
- 3 medium tomatoes, chopped
- 2 cloved garlic, minced
- 1/2 small red onion, chopped
- 2 tbsp. fresh chopped or 1/2 tbsp. dried basil leaves
- 1 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 3 oz. part skim mozzarella, diced
Season chicken breasts with salt and pepper. Place in a gallon-sized zip top bag in a single layer. Add 1/3 cup balsamic vinegar, seal the bag, and refrigerate on a baking sheet for at least 30 minutes, flipping the bag halfway through.
Combine remaining balsamic, onion, olive oil, salt and pepper in a large bowl. Add tomatoes, garlic, and basil and stir to combine. Set aside for at least 10 minutes or as long as overnight.
Remove chicken from bag and discard excess balsamic. Pan-sear or grill the cutlets until cooked through.
Toss mozzarella with bruschetta mixture just before serving and spoon evenly over cutlets.
Photo credit: Christie Fassold