I am always looking for new recipes to try out, see what healthy twist I could put on a meal. After trying out Rachael Ray’s Barbeque sauce, I had an idea.
My dad seemed to thoroughly enjoy it. The sweet, yet tanginess the sauce presented. Given its versatility, I realized there was a lot I could do with it. Since pizza is a popular choice among well everybody, I decided to give it a try, with my own spin.
What makes this pizza unique, is not only does it consist of barbeque sauce instead of your typical run of the mill tomato, the sauce is homemade. You know exactly what goes inside, and it doesn’t contain any high fructose corn syrups, which seems to be in all condiments nowadays.
To make the sauce my own, I lessened the amount of apple cider vinegar, since I found it a bit too strong. Also, I added some honey to make it honey barbeque. When bringing this dish together, I thought about what we add to barbeque. Obviously chicken, scallions, both mozzarella and cheddar, and red onions. I tried to remember what would come with BBQ chicken pizza when I would order it.
Here is the recipe, with some changes I have added after serving it.
Honey BBQ Chicken Pizza
Ingredients (3 servings)
- 1 cup Ketchup (Recommended: Hunts–no high fructose corn syrup)
- 2 cloves of garlic, grated
- 2 tablespoons of dark brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons dark amber maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- ½ tablespoon cider vinegar
- ½ teaspoon chili powder
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- Liberal drizzle of honey
- Whole Wheat Boboli Crust
- 1 cup shredded reduced-fat mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded reduced fat cheddar cheese
- 1 cup rotisserie chicken, shredded
- 1/2 red onion, sliced
- 1/4 cup scallions, sliced
1) Combine all the ingredients together for the barbeque sauce. Mix all together and set on low heat. Leave on stove for around twenty minutes. For best results, I think, leave in refrigerator overnight.
2) Spread the sauce onto the pizza crust.
3) Top with mozzarella cheese, and then sprinkle on cheddar.
4) Add chicken, onion, scallions, and whatever other ingredients you believe would go well on the pizza.
5) Set oven to 325. Leave in for around 10 minutes, or until the cheese melts.